wavy lines
About Asheboro
City Government
Services A-Z
Forms & Documents
Staring a Business
Utility Billing
Visitor Information
City Calendar

Sunset Theatre

Request Retire Asheboro InfoRetire in NCLiving in Asheboro



Water and Sewer Maintenance
336-626-1234 x 2201 and 2204

Regular Hours: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m., Monday-Friday


Water and Sewer Maintenance

In case of emergency (sewer overflow, water leaks, etc.) after 5 p.m., over the weekend or on a holiday, call 9-1-1. Emergency dispatchers will send an on-call investigator. During normal business hours, call 336-626-1234 x 2201 or 2204.


Want to avoid spending a day in the dark? It's a simple as 8-1-1. If you're planning to do any sort of digging, call 811 from anywhere in the country a few days prior to starting your project. Tell the operator where you're planning to dig and what type of work you will be doing, and your affected local utility companies will be notified about your intent to dig. In a few days they'll send a locator to mark the approximate location of your underground lines, pipes and cables, so you'll know what's below and be able to dig safely.

Remember; always call 811 before you start any digging project! You'll avoid injury, expense, embarrassment - and a very inconvenient day in the dark. For more information, visit www.call811.com.

Frequently Asked Questions


Who do I call about low water pressure at my house?
Call Water/Sewer Maintenance at 336-626-1234 and report the problem. They will enter a work order and someone will be out to investigate your problem as soon as possible.

What causes a water main break?
Cold weather, extreme heat and temperature fluctuation can cause changes in the soil around pipes, which can make the ground shift and create pressure. The freezing and expansion of water contents may have the same overwhelming effect. Age, pipe defects and sometimes accidents also contribute to a water main break.

Why is water running down the road in front of my house?
If this happens during the day, we may be flushing hydrants in the area or there could be a broken water main. We encourage you to call our department if you see this type of water on the roadway.

The city repaired a leak in front of my house. Will this cause my water bill to go up?
No, you are only charged for the water that goes through the meter to your residence.


Why do I hear a gurgling noise in my tub or sink when my washing machine discharges?
Your sewer service may be on the verge of stopping up. Call us to check your cleanout.

Why do I hear the same noise even when I'm not discharging anything?
It could be that the sewer main is stopped and about to back up into the house or apartment. Again - please call us as soon as possible.

I have a sewer spill in my yard. What should I do?
Keep kids and animals away from the spill and call our department at 336-626-1234 during business hours or 9-1-1 after hours. The City will send an investigator. Please do this before you call a plumber - the problem may be something we can resolve at no cost to you.

How often is the sewer system cleaned?
The wastewater collection system is being cleaned all the time. We clean difference parts of the system each day. We have a goal to clean up more than 10% of the system each year.

sewer cleanout imageWho do I call about a missing cleanout cap?
A cleanout is the maintenance access point on the sewer service (see photo on left). If you see one missing, please call 336-626-1234 x 2201 or 2204.

How do I dispose of grease?
DO NOT dump grease down the drain. Visit our FOG information section to learn what to do.

How often are the outfalls mowed?
We mow outfalls throughout the year. Our goal is to mow all of the City's outfalls twice each year.

The City dug up my yard to work on my sewer or repair a water leak and it has not been fixed up. What should I do?
The yard may have been too wet to dress up at that time. If more than five days have passed please call us at 336-626-1234.